NOAA History Banner
gold bar divider
home - takes you to index page
about the site
noaa - takes you to the noaa home page
search this site
white divider

arrow Stories and Tales of the Coast & Geodetic Survey
arrow Personal Tales

banner - diary of william mccaslan scaife covering the years 1919 thru 1920

Page: left arrow 1 2 3 4 5 6 click for next page

Wednesday, May 12

Got to Latouche at 6:00 A.M. Sunday. Took on oil and water Sunday and Monday. Went to picture show Sunday night. Mailed 6 letters and 15 cards in Latouche. Plenty of snow in Latouche still. Left Latouche at 4 A.M. Tuesday. Had a fine trip to Kekurnoi. Same kind of weather as we had going. Landed in a whaleboat at Kekurnoi about 9 A.M. today with two men. Provisioned for three weeks. Found my signal and station without any trouble. Signal blown down however. Got camp pitched. Lucky enough to find just oodles of driftwood. A little squirrel sits on a hill a few yards back of our camp and watches us by the hour. He has probably never seen a man before. A couple of eagles have been flying around too. Shot a goose tonight with my rifle, but haven't gotten him. Hope that he will wash ashore during the night. Am tired, and ready for a good night's sleep.

Thursday, May 13

Got up to the tune of a howling gale this morning. Where there was only calm water yesterday, there are great big breakers today. Could see across the Strait when I got up, but the other shore soon disappeared. Only caught one or two very dim glimpses of it after 7:00 o'clock. Worked on the signal as much as I could today, and spent the rest of the time fixing up camp. Have got the signal about ready to put up. I don't believe a dozen men could have put it up today without special equipment. The wind would all but take planks out of our hands and would have if the planks were not held like we were wrestling with them. It was very hard to saw. The wind would get the saw blade and bind it just as if it were nothing. Got my eyes full of sawdust time and again. Tonight I got more stuff out of my eyes than has ever been in them before. It is cold too. We could actually run up the hill back of camp without any trouble. The wind would take us right up. Spray has been flying over the camp. The gale has increased and the sea is howling now if I ever heard it howl.

Friday, May 14

Breakers were still pounding in when we got up this morning, but she calmed down considerably today. Last night the gale was at its height. Worked on the signal today. Still a little too much wind for raising it with only two men, I think. Hope to get it up tomorrow. Saw Kodiak Island faintly at times this morning, but couldn't see it at all this afternoon. Looks like it might rain. Am tired in my body tonight. I worked today if I ever worked.

Saturday, May 15

Part of Kodiak Island showed up fairly clear at times, but not clear enough to observe. Sun was under about all day, so I couldn't show heliotropes, therefore I worked on the signal. We got her raised in the morning, and it was some job, too, for three men. I had to use all my engineering skill (of which I haven't much). By night she was in pretty good shape. She was centered over the station fairly well. Fortunately the day was calm, all that I could have asked for. Was sure tired when night came, but had a feeling of satisfaction for I had accomplished something that certainly had me puzzled.

Sunday, May 16

Today was pretty clear, but very windy. I think the god of winds has his May home within easy calling distance of Kekurnoi. He rests part of the time, or else goes visiting, but when he works he works, and he has worked today. It has been cold, and the cold has been biting, because of the wind. The wind has been making the tents flutter like a flag. I haven't had time to brace them inside yet. Went up to the station this morning to see what I could do. Made a helio table for Ridge and one for Ikolik, and got them adjusted. Set up over the station and tried to observe, but couldn't see a thing to observe on except Kubegaklin (maybe). Wasn't sure about it even. Worked all morning. Put up the windshield and another piece of canvas to help out, but they were not near enough. Went back later in the afternoon and found that some of the marline with which the windshield had been secured had broken. Some wind. Took a short stroll this afternoon. Got a couple of ptarmigan, which tasted fine for supper. The last of the fresh meat went today at dinner. One of them would have been enough, with the soup that we had. Found the top of my tripod all jammed and useless this morning. Fixed it this afternoon. Camping in Alaska is no bed of roses, but I am glad I am here. Saw an old grave during my stroll this afternoon. Some prospector probably died or got killed in this God-forsaken place and was buried by his partner.

Monday, May 17

Today was like yesterday, only more so. It has been one darn thing after another all day long. I took the theodolite up this morning, set up, and tried to do something, but the wind said "no." I couldn't see the other places very well, anyhow. Tried to fix up camp a little today, but in a wind like this not much can be done. Started some braces in the cook tent, and the wind blew in so that a brace went right thru a corner of the tent. This afternoon I was trying to sew on some fastening cords on my tent. The wind would jerk the canvas out of my hands like somebody was jerking it. I looked over my shoulder and saw a great mass of smoke. A spark from the stove pipe had set the grass afire. A fly, which I had to take off the cook tent because the wind made it knock down the stove pipe every few minutes, was burned up. Tonight at supper I noticed that the Filipino cook had left some corned beef in a can. We ate some tonight, and later I found that it had been standing in the can a couple of days. The Filipino assured me that it was all right when corned beef is one of the worst things in the world to let stand in an open can. I scared him so that I don't think that it will happen again by telling him that there may soon be three new graves by the old one I saw yesterday. I am arriving at the conclusion that a warm-weather Filipino in an Alaska camp is about as much in the right place as a bull in a china closet. He has had some dreams which have worried him. One of them means that his sister is dead. Tonight I noticed that he has caught a cold, which was caused, I am sure, by his absolute helplessness when it comes to taking care of himself. I caught him going around in freezing weather with his shoes open. He said that he cries at night because he is cold. He has as many blankets as I have. Just doesn't know how to use them I think. I gave him the theodolite windshield tonight, and tucked him in like a baby. I suppose the next few days will determine whether my main object in life at the present is to get my observations or to nurse my Filipino. Late this afternoon I noticed that the signal looked as if the wind would carry her over any minute. I climbed up and put a heaving line on for an extra guy.

I came to Alaska to see her in her different moods. Well, I am getting what I came for. Found the little stream where I was frozen over in places this morning. The wind down in camp comes in puffs, which do things with the tents which are unpleasant to hear. It picks up the sand on the beach and carries it away in clouds. My eyes have been full of sand a good many times today; and gee, but the sand can sting when it hits your face. If you get behind something to hide from the wind, he sees you before he has gone by very far, and comes back after you.

Tuesday, May 18

Still windy, but it moderated towards evening. Broke the ice in the little stream which runs by camp to wash my face and hands this morning. Found that a little snow had fallen during the night. Worked on the hill most of the day. This morning I spent most of the time getting my windshield rigged up, building a frame for it, etc. This afternoon I showed the heliotropes and tried to observe. It was fairly clear, but I couldn't see a thing to observe on! Maybe the others are having their troubles, too, and will show me something by-and-by. I couldn't even be certain about Kulugakli. Backus, my helper, and I walked towards Kubergakli for about five miles after supper. I wanted to see if the signal was still up if I could. Finally saw it. Knew that it was up when I came in, for I saw it from the ship, but from my station it certainly blends in with the background. Have been thinking of going over and putting some white cloth on it, but if I do it will be a hike of twenty miles or more each way. Shot at some ptarmigan with my 22 revolver on the way back, but missed. The Filipino seems bitter today. I dosed him up with salts and gave him all the advice I could.

Wednesday, May 19

Washed again in ice water this morning, but my lips were not bleeding as they were yesterday morning. The wind blew harder all day today than it did yesterday and I certainly got chilled. Took the theodolite and the heliotropes up today. Just before dinner something was sighted which I took for "Top," Mower's signal. However, I didn't see it again in the afternoon. It was cloudy over in that direction part of the time. I did see a sign of life at Ikoliki. Lewis' station, over on Kodiak Island, tho. After dinner his helio began to show, and showed until about 5 o'clock. I had bad luck with my observations. I was pretty certain that I could see Kubergakli, and proceeded to take observations between that and Ikolik. When I was about to take my last reading on my first set I hit my instrument, so had to start over. Then I took two more sets in about the length of time that it took for my first set. But, this being my first try at triangulation, it would have been too good to be true if I had done things right. When I started to figure up my angles tonight I found that I had done something just backwards. I am all set to get them tomorrow, tho, if they show up. When I was coming down the hill tonight I saw a big hole in the cook tent. Only a spark from the stove pipe. There happened to be just enough left of the fly that burnt up Monday to patch it with. I am colder tonight than I have been yet, I believe. I have been sleeping in a heavy undershirt, an army shirt, and two sweaters, and in the daytime I have my mackinaw cruiser shirt on too. If it is no warmer tomorrow I suppose I will put on another shirt. God bless Mama for my helmet and wristlets. I didn't get to use them in France, but they are sure coming in handy, no,--invaluable, now, especially the helmet, without which work on the hill would be misery. The wristlets are fine when observing, as they permit free use of the fingers for handling the different screws, yet keep the hands warm. They are much better than gloves for that purpose when the temperature is down to freezing.

Thursday, May 20

When I got up this morning it was snowing. Continued lightly until about 3:30 P.M. Then it began to clear up. The ground started to whiten up, but it was a wet snow, and didn't last at this level. Wrapped some cloth around the base of my signal this morning, and made it fast; then came down and drank hot coffee. After that I pitched in and made a regular living place out of the cook tent, which was in a mess, as I hadn't had time to give it much attention. Got thru that shortly after dinner. Then worked on strengthening and centering the signals until 5:15. Ate supper. Went back up at 6:10 and worked until 8:40. Got all the legs firmly fastened down. The reason it took so long was because I had to do a good deal of digging in frozen ground. Wanted to get it fixed while it is calm for I may not have another good opportunity. Now I want to make a couple of extra guys out of odd pieces of wire and then I am willing to bet on this signal thru any blow that might come along. It was practically calm all day. Caught the Filipino with loose shoes again and gave him the best bawling out that I could. Saw a small boat this afternoon. Probably fisherman on his way to Kodiak. A fox came around to investigate us this morning about breakfast time. He stood up on a hill about 40 yards away. The squirrels are full of curiosity too. You can get up to within three yards of them sometimes. One actually came towards me when I whistled, just like those on the capitol grounds. When their idea of safety gets the upper hand over their curiosity, however, "fleet," they are gone in a flash. If they happen to be over a hole it happens so quick you can't see what happens. One instant you are looking at a squirrel, and a fractional part of the same instant later you are looking at the ground. Sea gulls are funny too. Yesterday I saw a flock of them chasing a couple of seals, and today I saw a flock chasing a big eagle. Warmer now. Hope it continues so . Would sure love to peep in at home tonight. There's nothing like having a home and those that make it home.

Friday, May 21

Clear day, and windy. Ice this morning. Observed today, but didn't get as good results as I want. Saw Lewis' helio at 9:30, and off and on all day, but only occasional glimpses in the afternoon. Saw Bond's helio showing up like a star at 2:30 and saw it intermittently for a couple of hours. Shot a couple of ducks tonight, but couldn't get them. Also worked on theodolite and washed clothes tonight.

Saturday, May 22

Was paid a visit by the Captain this morning. The Surveyor dropped anchor close by, and the Captain spent the day here. When I saw them coming I was a little nervous, for I hadn't gotten any results that were any good, and I thought that maybe the camp would be broken up. However, my fears were groundless, as we are to stay a week or two longer. The Captain was satisfied with the work I have done which made me feel good. Saw Mower's helio first time this morning. Got a good closure on Kuligakli and Top, but wasn't sure of Kuligakli, as it was very indistinct. Got two good closures on Ridge and Ikolik, and had a third almost finished when Ikolik stopped showing, probably because he was in the shade. Took a stroll after supper with my shotgun. Got a ptarmigan. Saw a whale today.

Tuesday, May 25

Since Saturday, when I last wrote, there have been several interesting happenings. I started a letter home Sunday morning. At dinner time Sunday I decided to carry out a "bright" idea which had struck me. That was to hike to Kuligakli, the next station up the coast, and put some signal cloth on the signal. As I had been having a great deal of difficulty seeing it. So at one o'clock I set out with a blanket roll, a piece of canvas, my revolver, and a small pack. I intended arriving there at about seven and getting back the next morning at nine or ten. Well, my bright idea proved to be bright indeed. To begin with, it was blowing when I left and snowing a little, but the snow was all right. I was only afraid that it would turn into rain. As I got further along the snow began to come down faster, and started to whitening up the ground considerably. I walked over tundra, along the beach, and on a mountain for about four hours. Up on that mountain I received one of the surprises of my life when I ran across the tracks of two men. I followed them down to and along the beach for a considerable distance, as they were directed in my direction. At last I came to a small boat a short distance up a creek. A couple of salmon were lying on the ground and it was certain that somebody was close by, but I didn't have any time to lose, so I walked across the valley and tackled the next mountain. Then it was that my troubles began. That mountain was streaked with deep gulches full of alders, and believe me, alder thickets are something to go thru, especially with a pack. As soon as I would get out of one gulch I would be on the edge of another. I absolutely never struck the likes of it before. I couldn't walk along the beach, as it was high water, and at high water that beach is a straight cliff. I had that for two and a half or three hours, and I don't suppose I gained much over two miles in that time. At 8 o'clock I was lucky enough to find a break in the cliff and a section of the beach which is not all covered at high water. It was all rocks and boulders down there. I scraped a little dirt down from the ravine where I climbed down to make the rocks softer, built a fire out of driftwood over the spot where I intended sleeping, moved the fire when the spot got warm, ate supper, and turned in. By that time it was nearly 10, but still pretty light. All went well until I came to out of a doze nearly suffocated. A spark had set fire to my canvas ground cloth. Then I let the fire go out. Didn't need it anyhow, as it had cleared up. Slept fairly well. Got up about 3:30. My boots, which had gotten wet, were frozen. I hiked around to the end of the mountain, from where I could see the place to which I had started. One glimpse was enough, as it looked as far away as ever, and as I had neither the time nor the inclination to go on. Had to thrash thru the alders part of the way back on that mountain, but was able to follow the beach there for a good distance too, and altho that particular section of beach consisted of rocks and boulders, it seemed like a paved street compared with the mountain side. While I was up on the mountain I jumped a big fox about ten yards away. Came across the boat again. Followed some fresh tracks along the beach until I saw smoke coming out of a dugout. Then I spent an hour which I will remember a long, long time, for in it I got an insight into life as it's lived by the genuine frontiersman up here, of their hospitality, etc. In the dugout I found a middle aged man by the name of Mason. Everything about him, his keen gray eyes, great strength, and a good many things that I can't put into words, were suggestive of the pioneer. Without a moment's hesitation he built a fire in his stove, and over a meal of cocoa and grizzly bear roast we got acquainted. He had killed two bears and his Indian helper had killed two a few days previous. He talked of killing a bear as most people would talk of killing a rabbit. Bear meat is fine. It tastes somewhat like beef but somewhat different. That that I ate was sure cooked fine, too,--just as tender as could be. Mr. Mason traps in the winter time and works a gold creek he has in the summer time. His creek is still frozen, but it is about time for it to thaw. He lives at the place where the signal is that I started to hike to, and offered to tack the cloth on for me when he goes back, which offer I thankfully accepted. He invited me to his place for a bear hunt, and told me that if I ever went there while he was away I would find his cabin open and to go in and help myself to anything I saw. That is an unwritten law up here. You can go into a cabin that you run across and help yourself, whether the owner is there or not. Mr. Mason was on the way to Cold Bay, a town on the Bay of the same name, down near Mower's camp. The town is a thriving one which consists permanently of one trader. Sometimes a few Indians live there and sometimes they don't. He said there are eight men there now, as somebody has reported finding oil. They put places like that on the chart as towns, as that is about the best they can do if they want towns on the charts. Got back to camp at 4 P.M. after having been on the hike most of the time since 4 A.M. Was sure glad to throw my pack down. Altho the day had been calm, it had not been good for seeing. Backus reported that he hadn't seen a helio from any of the other stations all day, so my fool trip didn't hurt anything but my feelings, and they were put in good shape again my Mr. Mason. Went to bed early, dog tired, and slept like a log. But I forgot to say that just as I got to camp I saw the Surveyor over about Kulugakli, and that they fixed up the signal. I can see the signal plainly now.

As for today, it has been mostly a case of flapping canvas and eyes full of sand and dirt, for she has been blowing as hard as she did on our second day at camp, to say the least. Took the helios and theodolite up. About nine-thirty I noticed that the guy stake on the windward side was pulling up, and I had been willing to bet on those stakes, with cross pieces nailed on them and buried under rocks below the frost line. I was proud of them, but it seems that I needed schooling in Alaska winds as well as Alaska hiking. Took all the instruments away, as it looked like the signal might pull out the stake and the top piece break at any moment. Worked until 12:30 making that stake secure. Backus and I took turns sitting on the loose stake and digging a hole to bury another piece of wood in. A piece of 3x3 was then nailed to the stake and to the piece to be buried. Now I will bet on the stake. If the signal goes it won't be the stake's fault. Showed helios again from 1:15 to 4:45. Caught four or five dim glimmers from Bond's helio this afternoon, but not enough to do any good. Only secured one pointing on it. Probably too windy for good results anyhow. Saw Surveyor today.

Wednesday, May 26

When I got up only a moderate breeze was blowing, but before 10 o'clock, and for the rest of the day, it was a stiff breeze. Saw the Surveyor coming. They dropped anchor a little before noon, and sent a boat in. Smith, the writer, brought vouchers for me to sign. I went aboard the ship, saw the folks, got enough chow to last about three weeks longer and a few needed articles and got off a letter to the home folks. Right after they left I dressed up the base of my signal with some cloth which I got off the Surveyor. They are at present engaged in sounding in this vicinity, and will probably go on to Kodiak tomorrow. I mentioned my meeting Mason, the prospector and trapper. The Captain seemed surprised, as Mason has been reported missing for some time. When the ship stopped by Kulugakli to fix up the signals somebody went up to Mason's cabin to try and find out something about him. Today has been nix as an observing day. Could see the other places, but part of the time thru a haze. Didn't catch sight of a helio all day. Tried to show mine all day, however, Sure hope that I can finish up successfully and soon.

Thursday, May 27

Today was like yesterday, only there was more wind. Decided wind was too strong, so took helios down at about nine. Ikolik and Top were practically invisible all morning, and Ikolik never showed up like a house afire in the afternoon either. Didn't see a flash from any of them. Put up helios for Ridge and Top at about one and helio for Ikolik at about one-thirty, as the mist began to clear away then. Closed shop at 4:30. I sure hate this wind. I wonder if it is like this up here all the year. It is getting a little warmer, tho. Green grass is beginning to show.

Friday, May 28

Calm and fine today. Showed helios from 8 to 5. Didn't see Bond's helio all day, but saw Lewis' and Mower's in the afternoon. Got two good sets on Kulugakli and Ikolik. Ikolik stopped showing before I could complete a third. A mirage hovered about Kodiak Island most of the day, and it did queer things with the mountains. One minute they would have flat tops and the next they would have sharp pointed tops, besides many curious formations. Sometimes they would look like tables. Again high palisades would be thrown up where there are none. Saw the Surveyor nearby on a sounding line. Thought they were coming in here, but they didn't. Saw a whale spout off the point. Also saw four small boats go by. Took a bath in a cold mountain stream after supper, but it was not near as bad as I imagined it would be. It is a good deal warmer than it has been even if there was a patch of snow about three steps up the stream from where I took my bath. Put the new fly, which I got off the Surveyor Tuesday, on the cook tent after I took my bath. Had to cut a hole in it to let the stove pipe thru and had to make a frame to keep the canvas away from the pipe. Also made a spark screen for the stove pipe out of a can.

Saturday, May 29

As fine a day as I could wish for, and I made use of it too. Got a couple of sets on Kulugakli and Ikolik this morning. About noon Ridge began to show, intermittently, but I got a couple of sets on Ridge and Ikolik. Caught a few glimpses of Ridge this morning, but not enough to observe on. Saw Top pretty good all day, but didn't need him. Now I am practically thru. I have four sets on Kulugakli and Ikolik and four on Ridge and Ikolik, whereas I need only three of each. I took an extra set of each as there was a set of each that I wasn't quite satisfied with, but I think that all are passable. Got a horizon closure within 0.4 second of perfect today, and one within 0.8 second yesterday. Now all I have to do is to take a few vertical angles and do a little pottering around, and put some final touches on my signal. The mirage played around Kodiak Island again today, and also farther up the peninsula. About breakfast time there was a long concrete railroad bridge which reached from Kodiak Island halfway across the straits. It was for all the world like the Flagler road to Key West. Then there were a bunch of natural bridges over about Ikolik and Ridge. The day was very nearly cloudless until about six o'clock, when a great, smoke-like mist was seen rolling up from the southwest. In ten minutes or so we were in the midst of a heavy fog, that blots out everything two hundred yards or so away. I never saw such a quick change in all my life. I suppose we are in for a spell of rain now. The fog was so dense and smokelike that at first we thought that Pavlof or some other old fellow had waked up and gone on the war-path. Saw a whale and Mason's boat today. Think that the boat turned back. Showed helios from 8 to 5:15. Could see a little farther out to sea by nine o'clock. Saw Mason's boat go by about nine.

Sunday, May 30

Overcast and drizzly all day. Occupied day writing letters, sewing, practicing with rifle, and washing clothes. Didn't see sun, but saw part of Kodiak Island.

Monday, May 31

Only rained a few drops today but the sky was overcast until nearly six o'clock. Only saw the sun a couple of short times before then. Couldn't show helios, but could see across, and could see the sun was shining over there. Saw helios, but could see across, and could see that the sun was shining over there. Saw helios from Ridge and Ikolik. Measured vertical angles, but spent most of the day putting finishing touches on signal. First we dug long holes behind the three guy stakes that hadn't been completely fixed up. In these we buried big pieces of wood, which were connected to the guy stakes by pieces of 3x3. Then we tightened up all the guys. After that we made the signal cloth around the base as secure as possible which finished the signal in all details. The wind that blows her down now will be some wind. After supper Backus and I took a stroll. Backus took my shotgun and I took my rifle. Saw four ptarmigan and got four, Backus two and I two. I used the 32 Colt automatic cartridge in auxiliary chamber, and sure am pleased with it. It doesn't mutilate small game, doesn't make much noise, and transforms a bear gun into "a ptarmigan gun" in a moment. After I got back I did a little washing.

Tuesday, June 1

One woolen undershirt, one woolen army shirt, two sweaters, a mackinaw cruising shirt, and two pairs of pants. How's that to wear on June 1st? The patch of snow on the north side of camp hasn't quite melted yet, and this wind will penetrate anything. For a description of today, see May 13th. A harder blow than then if anything. Its hard to stand up on the hill. Just did get the signal all fixed up in time, for otherwise I think she would have gone. The wind going thru her sounded like whistles. Haven't seen across all day. Top has been covered by clouds and mist most of the time too. Didn't try to show helios. Loafed all day, practically. Went up on the hill at low water this afternoon with glasses to look for breakers offshore, but didn't see any. Took inventory of mess stores this morning.

Wednesday, June 2

Just like yesterday. Sewed, read, and loafed.

Thursday, June 3

When I got up it had calmed down some, but it soon breezed up again. Kodiak still invisible. More mist than yesterday. Took a three hour walk this morning. Got two ptarmigan with my rifle. Rained a little after supper.

Friday, June 4

Calmer, but still windy. Sky overcast. Saw some mountains on Kodiak in afternoon. Read, studied, and practiced tying knots.

Saturday, June 5

Clear and almost calm this A.M. Tested and adjusted helios and got the last one up about nine. Took down Ridge ; Ikolik about 4:00, as Kodiak became invisible. Showed to Top till 5:00. Signaled all stations that I was through. Took instrument up. Drew sketch of mountains to Southwest to help determine location of new triangulation station. Ascertained directions taken by previous parties and marked on sketch such as came on it. It soon breezed up. Woolewars are out tonight, and I do hate them. They handle the canvas like they would split it upon the least bit of excuse. Did some sewing. Some volcano, probably Mageik, about 35 miles away, is sure going it. There is quite a bit of smoke about the mountains to the North and West, so much that it makes a shade thru which we can look at the sun with naked eyes without even batting them. The mountains across Cold Bay have been lighted by a weird, yellow light. Those to the North are entirely or nearly invisible. Maybe I will climb a high mountain a few miles back tomorrow and try to get a glimpse of the old fellow. There is a decided smell of smoke in the air. Backus ran out to see if the tent was afire. No need to wonder any more how the first cats and dogs learned to creep up close to their intended prey, crouch down, and then at the first good chance spring and land squarely on top of the poor, unoffending thing. Back in the wild days when the first cats and dogs roamed the treeless world (like the Alaska Peninsula) there must have been plenty of woolewars, and much duller animals than cats and dogs could have learned when the lesson was so forcibly taught. When the engravers were finishing up the world in the rough a woolewar must have got after them before they quite made a landing on the Alaska Peninsula. And they never dared come back, either, for nothing has touched it since the Lord stood somewhere near Anchorage after he had finished the world and threw all the scraps that were too big and rough to fit in anywhere out to sea, forming the Alaska Peninsula.

Sunday, June 6

Sewed this morning. Went hunting this afternoon. Only got one ptarmigan. Kodiak Island plainly visible in afternoon, but didn't think there was any use to show helios. Woke up about 2:30 A.M. A bunch of woolewars must have been having a battle royal on top of the tent,--about the worst of my experience. They took my bucket down to the beach, and only a log saved it from going to sea. They also emptied my washpan and turned it upside down. Almost calm when I got up but has been windy most of the day.

Monday, June 7

Woolewars this morning. Very windy on hill until about 3:00, when it almost calmed down. Showed helios until 4:30, that is, when other places were visible. Didn't show to Top until 1:00. Had to stop showing to Ridge and Ikolik from 10:30 to 12:00 as they disappeared. Saw two foxes or else the same one twice. Did some target practice with rifle after supper. Shot 40 rounds.

Tuesday, June 8

Showed helios intermittently from 8:00 to about 1:00, as the sun was under most of the time, and about 1:00 went under for good. Had a few drops of rain. Went after ptarmigan in afternoon, but no luck. Wind blowing in from sea. Will probably have another howling gale. Almost calm this A.M. Shot 20 rounds at targets today. Two pairs of woolen socks under my boots, but my feet have been cold. A woolen undershirt and shirt, two sweaters, a mackinaw cruising shirt, and a helmet, but last time I went out my teeth did some chattering. I even wore the helmet in the tent awhile tonight. Quite a drop this afternoon.

Wednesday, June 9

Overcast all day. Couldn't show helios. Read, loafed, and "studied" in morning. Went out in afternoon to draw a sketch of shore line. Drew rough sketch from top of a mountain, from where I got a wonderful view. Took shotgun along. Got four ptarmigan and saw a fine red fox on my way back.

Thursday, June 10

Overcast. Tried to show helios about 2:00, when sun threatened to come out, but gave it up. Surveyor came along and anchored a little after four. It had been almost absolutely still until an hour or so before they got here, when it began to breeze up from the sea, making quite a chop. The motor sailor shoved off. When almost here Mr. Sobieralski tried to yell something to me, but I could hardly hear a sound on account of the breakers. It was too rough to come in, so they beat it. The ship shoved off for Kodiak Island. Halibut Cove for the night, I figure, and all my mail is aboard! Anyhow, I still have the pleasure in store, and maybe a bawling out about something I may have done in my greenness, too. A whale came right into the little harbor here today.

Friday, June 11

Started to rain about 10 last night and didn't stop a minute for about 20 hours. Looks like it will start again. Loafed and read most of day. Put on sou'wester ; oilskin ; took a walk.

Sunday, June 13

Surveyor came about 10 yesterday morning. Mr. Sobe. came ashore. Went aboard; ate dinner. Given more work to do here. Got two letters from Mama and one from Hazel. Took long walk after supper with Backus. Found Indian graveyard. Ten graves in four places nearby. Not far away was a barabara. An old, broken, rusty gun and other things gave evidence that it hadn't been used for a long time. A note was pinned on the wall, but I couldn't make it out. Got back to camp about 10 and made cocoa. Got to bed about 11:15. Loafed, washed clothes, and started letter home today. Seems to be clearing up. Something strange happened. About the first night we were in camp the Filipino dreamed that he lost a gold tooth and interpreted his dream to mean that his sister was dead. Sure enough, he got a letter yesterday saying that she was dead. He said that he didn't know she was sick.

Monday, June 14

Raining or overcast. No work possible. Read, etc.

Tuesday, June 15

Showed helio to Ridge from about 2 to 3. Clouds prevented more work. Rained a little in afternoon. Took theodolite up, but couldn't do anything. Filipino sick. Spit and vomited blood. Can't be pneumonia, as certain symptoms not present. Severe pain in back. Came on about 3 last night. He got breakfast and dinner, chopped wood and didn't say anything about it until afternoon. Says that he has had two attacks before, and that doctors say it is caused by growth on heart. I made him go to bed at once and cooked supper myself. Have been reading medical handbook, but this case is too complicated for me. He said that a doctor told him he would die if the growth bursts.

Wednesday, June 16

Got up and cooked breakfast. At first I thought the Filipino was in a critical condition. Wouldn't eat. I made him some beef extract soup and he wouldn't eat it. He seemed to lie in a kind of stupor, but before noon a big change for the better took place. Hope it will continue. Fog and light rain today. Mirror calm. Rain hasn't stopped all day. Read, studied, and washed a few clothes. Heard Surveyor's whistle just before noon, but couldn't see her thru fog.

Friday, June 18

Clear and calm yesterday. Top showed intermittently until about 2:30, when he went under a cloud. Ikolik showed from about 2:00 to 5:00. Did some observing, and showed helios from about 8:20 to 5:00. After supper Backus and I climbed the high mountain at the head of the valley straight back. I suppose we were the first ones to ever set foot on its summit. We got a view the like of which I never saw before. Haze and maybe smoke prevented the best possible view to the north and northwest, but all other directions were just right. I may have seen the bases of Katmai and Mageik, but I am not sure. I saw over into their country anyhow. I looked down and saw Cold Bay and Becharof Lake, a great lake which it is safe to say very few white men have seen. Rising from the shore of the lake Mt. Peulik stood like a Japanese picture mountain. To the south and on Kodiak Island and for probably 35 miles to the north countless ranges stood. The water was absolutely calm. The whole made a picture which won't soon be forgotten.

Got down to the base of the mountain in a few minutes by running and by sitting on snow and sliding. Got back to camp at 10:20. This morning it was calm, but overcast. A stiff breeze soon sprung up from the sea and developed into a nice blow. I took the instrument up, but didn't catch a glimpse of anything to observe on. All other stations were under clouds practically all day, sometimes hidden. We had sun here intermittently, and for those reasons I was only able to show helios intermittently.

Saturday, June 19

Rain. Passed away time as usual under such conditions. Practically calm. Took a couple of walks.

Sunday, June 20

About 9:30 A.M. an Indian dropped in. Gave him some chow. Finally made out that he and his brother are hunting seals in this neck of the woods at present, and that they are camping down at the graveyard in the old barabara we found some time ago. Hope they don't get the notion that we are running a free lunch counter. He pointed out a valley and said that he killed three bears there last year, so after he left, Backus and I hiked off to that valley, as this day evidently intended to remain a no work day. Saw deep bear trails and old bear tracks, but no bear. Gone six and a half hours. Calm but overcast today. Just a few drops of rain.

Monday, June 21

Rain today. Made a helio stand for Unalashagvik. Our friend the Indian, his brother, and an old Indian dropped by this afternoon. They came in a seal skin kayak. Had killed a seal yesterday and had some seal meat. They all had rifles, but I also noticed a bow on the bow of the kayak. One of them said that they used it to kill seals with. Two of them wore mukluks. I don't know what all they had in their kayak, but I saw a couple of caribou hides. They shoved off in a little while. Said they were going to an island farther up. Almost calm. I sure hope that tomorrow will be good. Fished this afternoon, but no luck.

Tuesday, June 22

After a pretty hard struggle it cleared up here a little before noon. Didn't clear up at Top, which was under clouds all day. Didn't get a glimpse of Top. A stiff blow was on all day. Probably too stiff for good results if I could have seen anything to observe on. Didn't show helios across Strait as I considered it useless to do so. Read, studies, etc., and took a long walk after supper. Saw a bird nest with six eggs - the second one with eggs I have seen this year.

Wednesday, June 23

Fine, calm day until about six P.M. Got some observing done. Altho all the rest of the world seemed cloudless, there was a low-hanging mist out in the Strait several miles, and extending a good many miles. We could see the tops of most of the mountains on Kodiak over the mist most of the time. This lasted until about eleven o'clock. From about 8 to 9 we could hear the Surveyor's fog whistle somewhere out in the mist, but couldn't see her until about 9. It certainly seemed funny to hear fog signals on a day like this. The Surveyor sent a party ashore on one of the big rocks not far away to put up a supplementary station, and then came on up here. Capt. Hardy came ashore, and worked out some sets while I kept on observing. He got here about 1:45. Worked on hill until 5:50. Showed helios to Top from about 8 to 5:50, to Ridge from about 9 to 5:50, and to Ikolik from about 9:30 to 5:00. Then came down to supper and to read my MAIL. Mail day is some day up here. While I was putting up the instrument (about 5:50) a breeze suddenly sprung up from the sea, and in a few minutes the breakers were piling in. Nice little blow on now.

Thursday, June 24

The howlingest howling gale that I ever heard howl has been howling all day. Rain and mist together, mostly mist, I think, has been flying. Up on the hill it will certainly sting your face to look directly into the teeth of the gale. It is like bucking a football line to buck it up there. Easy to go up the hill back of camp, but the wind will hold you back to some extent coming down. Took a walk today. It is very foggy and misty. The wet things in camp have a salt taste. Reread mail and spent time as usual under similar conditions.

Friday, June 25

Considerably more moderate, but still windy and misty. One of our Indian friends came around this morning. Told me he was in the Katmai country when she blew up in 1912. Said that he beat it for Cold Bay in his kayak, that he didn't sleep for three days, that it was absolutely dark for two days, and that there was some blow on. He wanted to buy some sugar. I gave him some. It was funny to hear the Filipino talking to him.

Saturday, June 26

Not much wind, but rain and fog all day. Took a long walk in afternoon. Passed time as usual on such days.

Sunday, June 27

Rain and fog. My Indian friend came around this afternoon. After he had been here about half an hour he informed me that his partner, Nickel Eye, was "no goot," as he was to blame in some way for the fact that they were out of tea. Gave him some. Another half hour and he was out of salt. Nickel Eye's fault again. Gave him a little salt. Was able to get a good set on Kulugakli and the new station on the rock between four and five this afternoon. Took a creek bath this morning. While I was bathing it started raining lightly, but not enough to wet my clothes to amount to anything.

Monday, June 28

Rain and mist again, and a little wind. Ship came while we were eating dinner. Whaleboat came ashore. Had to make a rough surf landing. I fell down and got good and wet trying to take a line from them. Brought chow for 12 days, a piece of 3x3 signal cloth, wire, and tacks. Am to put up another signal near the Indian graveyard. They forgot to send nails, soap, and baking powder, which we are about out of and also a cot for Hunt, the extra man they sent me, but they sent a small tent and a fly for him. A letter from Capt. Hardy said that the observing on the main quadrilateral is considered complete, that Bond has been landed at Mower's camp and that I am to observe on and show helios to two new stations that Mower and Bond will put up, and that I am also to do certain observing from the new station I am to put up.

Tuesday, June 29

Rain and fog today. Couldn't see rocks or point where I am to put new station until about noon. Backus, Hunt, and I went down to the point this afternoon. Each carried a 2x3, and each knew he had carried something too. Picked out a place for station after a little looking around. The barabara at the point was certainly left in a filthy condition by the Indians, who have gone somewhere. Fish and water fowl were left around to rot. Got back at five-forty. Made a little preparation for signal building and cleaned guns.

Wednesday, June 30

Left camp this morning at 8:10 for the new station to be, each carrying a sizeable load of signal building material, tools, etc. Got to work at 11:00 and stopped at four. Got signal ready to put up. I drilled four holes in bedrock and cemented spikes in them to secure guy wires to. A little windy today. She succeeded in clearing up about everywhere except on the mountains the "Top" group, which were hidden partly all day. Overcast here when we left camp this morning. Feel like I have done a day's work.

Friday, July 2

Yesterday was a loss in every sense of the word. It was calm, or almost, and clear. Stayed at camp and kept watch for helios practically all the time until 3:00, but didn't see anything. A mirage prevented good seeing on Kulugakli, so I didn't get anything. After supper I took a long walk up the beach. Saw a fox, who howled at me from a distance of about three or four hundred yards a good while. Picked up some boards on the beach and brought them back to use on signal. Fog settled down while I was coming back. Got back after nine and discovered that Dad's binoculars were missing. They may have been laid down when I took them out to look at the fox. I retraced my steps as near as I could, but didn't find them. Got back at 11:20. Foggy Filipino has been under the weather a few days. Got back to camp at 6:00. Found Filipino worse. He went to bed about 7:00 and now his condition seems to be very, very critical. Hunt, Backus, and I are standing watches to do what little we can for him. I drew the 8-12 watch. He seems to doze off at times and between dozes he seems to be suffering intense agony. It seems to be an attack of the heart. If he lasts the night out I will be very, very, thankful. About all that I can do is to hope for the ship to come.

Saturday, July 3

Hunt, Backus, and I stood watches last night to do what we could for the Filipino. He seemed to pass a quiet night, but said this morning that he didn't sleep any. Says that he is feeling a little better today, but it is still like hoping against hope. He seems to have been lying in a kind of stupor most of the day. Got him to eat a soft-boiled egg and to drink a cup of coffee this afternoon,--the first he had eaten in a couple of days. Went out this morning to try to get a ptarmigan to make some broth, but didn't see a feather of one. About noon I saw the Surveyor headed this way, and it certainly made me feel better. But my streak of bad luck had to hold out. It was blowing enough to make the sea rough, and the Surveyor kept on up the channel. We did everything we could to signal to them. I guess. Sky was overcast, so we couldn't use helios. We took the windshield up on the hill and tried to attract their attention with it. I tried to semaphore with a pair of flags I made. We packed some wood up on the hill, poured the kerosene on it and tried to make a fire, but too much wind. Surveyor disappeared over the horizon. Suppose they were too far away to get our signals. I wrote a message and put it in a friction top can to throw with a heaving line if a whaleboat should get close to the beach and then take a notion not to try a landing. Early this afternoon the wind increased to a gale, and a short time after the ship disappeared it would have been impossible to make a landing. The gale is the spray-driving, straight-from-the-sea kind.

Sunday, July 4

Slept on a pile of wood, boxes, and provision bags in cook tent last night. Filipino passed quiet night. I got up and cooked breakfast. Some wind, but not as much as yesterday. Foggy and rainy.Filipino has been improving all day, but is still very sick. Pain has not left him. I took almost a four hour hunt this afternoon. Got a duck and a couple of snipe over in a big marsh. Could have gotten more snipe if I had needed them. Had to do a good deal of wading. Got wet. Cleaned birds when I got back. Will make broth out of them. Looked for glasses on way back, but no luck. Very hard rain last night. Hardest I have seen on Alaska Peninsula. The gale drove it thru tent in places. Had to use sacks to keep the Filipino's bed dry.

Monday, July 5

Slept same way last night as night before. Got breakfast this A.M. Made soup out of duck and snipe for Filipino. He has improved 100%. Sat up all day and has eaten more. Got round on Kulugakli Rock, and new signal. Took nap this afternoon to get back some of the sleep that I lost the last four nights. Overcast or foggy. Rain since about 1:00. Calm to moderate breezes.

Tuesday, July 6

Filipino almost normal until after supper, when he spit some blood and had a slight attack. Hope he doesn't get bad off this time. It is not exactly a pleasant situation to have an apparently dying man plead with you to relieve his pain when you can't do a thing. Almost calm. Foggy and rainy in morning and part of afternoon. Cleared up considerably and turned a little cool late this afternoon. Adjusted signal this morning, as I had found it to be slightly off center. Got three sets on Rock and the new signal this afternoon. One of them was a perfect horizon closure. Did a little mending on canvas packing bag for theodolite to make it secure for the trip to the new signal.

Wednesday, July 7

Got up at six. Helped cook breakfast. Left for new station with Backus at 8:30. Left Hunt with Filipino, who is under the weather a little today. Got a round of 9 directions and two good sets on Kekurnoi and Rock. Backus secured the four extra guy wires, put in a reference mark, and drilled a hole in a big rock, into which we cemented a nail for a temporary station mark. After I finished observing we put the rock in place and centered the nail. Left for camp at about 5:30, and got back about 7:00. Saw a huge brown bear with three cubs on way back. They were six or seven hundred yards away across an open space. Altho they were to windwards of us they didn't notice us. They seemed to be feeding. After a good while they disappeared up a ravine. Didn't have a gun along, so I felt a little funny when the old bear for a moment seemed to be starting towards us. In the morning we saw a bunch of young sea gulls on a flat-topped rock a little out in the water. Looked very much like baby turkeys or chickens. About two dozen gulls flew around the rock making an awful racket. Didn't see sun all day. Tops of mountains in "Top" group hidden.

Thursday, July 8

Hunt and I went down to the new station this A.M. It was blowing pretty hard when we got there, and just about the time we got thru the fog shut down and it started raining, so we beat it back. Got good and wet. All the hike and packing for nothing except exercise. Shot at a duck but missed. Spent afternoon drying clothes and writing. The wind is from the sea, and the sea is pretty rough. Has been raining pretty hard since about 10 with one slight pause. Filipino in bed all day. Has headache. No appetite. Is weak. Hope he doesn't have another spell.

Friday, July 9

Rain and wind all day. SW gale. Woolewars tonight. Filipino in bed. Maybe a little better than yesterday, but not much. Spent day writing, loafing, etc.

Saturday, July 10

Windy and foggy, altho wind died down somewhat. Filipino better this morning. Hunt and I took a walk in morning to look for binoculars, but no luck. Saw two or three foxes.

Well, I am beginning to find myself. I am not following the right profession at all. I should hire myself out as companion to somebody who wants to have unusual experiences, or is tired of the ordinary, for it is beginning to look like that anybody who hangs around me will soon learn to expect the unexpected. Right after dinner we saw a boat headed our way. She dropped anchor in the little cove in front of camp and lowered a boat. Two men got in and started for the beach. The principal thought that struck me was that the Surveyor had hit a rock and that this boat had come to pick us up. We found that the boat was rowed by an Indian and a Mr. Thompson. They had come to pick us up all right, but the Surveyor's bad luck wasn't as bad as we had feared. They are in Latouche and are unable to get fuel, so Capt. Hardy sent a wireless to the canneries at Uyak and at Larsen's Bay (about 8 miles above Uyak), asking them to pick us up if possible, as we were provisioned only thru the tenth. We got together a few belongings and got aboard the boat (the Thrasher) about 4:00 P.M. The complement of the Thrasher consisted of Capt. Green (a little man with stiff red whiskers), the Indian who rowed ashore, an engineer, and Mr. Thompson. who was just along for the trip. When we got out into the Strait it was fairly clear, but dense fog hid the shore. It was rough until we got in the lee of Kodiak Island. Got sick. The Filipino got seasick and his pain came back. It was a pretty severe trip for him in his condition. Got to Larsen's Bay about 11:00. Saw the doctor and got Filipino in hospital. Backus and Hunt were given a place to sleep in the bunkhouse, I think. I was taken up to the cannery supt's. house, and installed in the finest bedroom I ever slept in, I think. Some difference between this and what I have been used to. A big bag of cakes right on the table where I can reach them from bed.

Sunday, July 11

Spent day loafing around, looking over cannery, etc. Talked to some real fellows. Doctor thinks Filipino has ulcer of stomach. Saw an unstretched bear skin 11 feet long. Was killed by the Indian who was on the Thrasher. Daylight showed that my bedroom is not as elegant as it appeared last night, but it is fine all the same. Sent telegram to Capt. Hardy. Was disappointed not to get trip to Latouche, but this is not bad. I would have liked to have gotten with the gang, tho.

Monday, July 12

Came down to Uyak this A.M. on Thrasher. Was put up in fishermen's bunkhouse, which was empty. Loafed around and looked over cannery. Climbed hill. Five gas boats from other places got in today,-one from Seward, one from Chignik, and three from a Bering Sea cannery, which has already got up their pack. Boat from Uyak reports that wireless message there from Surveyor said that they were ready to leave Latouche yesterday or today. A fellow said that all except three of the Yukon outfit were taken to Latouche for the 4th. A jinx has sure been following me since I joined the Coast Survey.

Wednesday, July 14

Was up to Mr. Taylor's house awhile Monday night. Heard some great bear stories. Mr. McCue, general manager of the N.W.F. Company had some interesting ones to tell. Spent yesterday writing and loafing. Spent today writing, loafing, and reading. A fellow lent me "The Rosary."

Thursday, July 15

Finished reading "The Rosary." It is a very fine book. Climbed mountain this morning and tonight. It is an experience to sit on a mountain top and watch the Alaska twilight come on. Tonight Shelikof Strait was almost mirror like and Uyak Bay was quite mirror like. The mountains on the mainland were a bluish gray, and behind them a bluish gray wall of clouds of almost the same shade of color as the mountains and about twice as high formed a background. Just above the band of cloud were many small clouds and arms from the main one, like peninsulas and islands along the coast of the mainland. The clear sky around them was the sea, and a beautiful sea it was, all painted by the last rays of the sun, which had already set in Bristol Bay. The wall of cloud and mountains seemed to stand guard along the edge of the land of Robert W. Service. What words could describe it better than, "There's a land where the mountains are nameless, where the rivers run God knows where"? When I stand on a mountain top and look at a world of mostly nameless mountains and "Valleys unpeopled and still," what is it that struggles in my mind to be understood but is never understood right, but fascinates all the same? Is it the mystery, the wildness, the bigness, and silence, or the sternness of it? Probably all these traits and many more besides. Maybe I never will fully understand this land. It is so big and has so many moods, forms, and surprises, but something about it makes one want to conquer it and learn its secrets.

Friday, July 16

Loafed and read.

Saturday, July 17

Surveyor came in last night after we had gone to bed. Got up and met whaleboat. Went aboard with all belongings. Had to leave without saying anything to Taylors, as they had gone to bed. Stayed up till 1:30 reading mail. Plan was to drop in this morning, but SE blow came on, so when I got up we were passing Uyak Bay, bound for Kodiak, to meet the Watson. Don't plans change? Spent part of day going over triangulation records. Went ashore in Kodiak after supper.

Sunday, July 18

Went ashore and took walk with Mr. Sobe. this morning. Dropped by Dr. Buckley's. Got invited out for supper. Went again at 1:00. Watson had come in and knocked over tide gauge house, so of course I got job of fixing it up wished off on me. Luckily gauge wasn't broken. Had intended going back to ship and cleaning up and shaving before supper, but it was too late after I finished with tide gauge.

Went aboard Watson to get a shave, but her whistle blew before I could get in barber's chair. On top of that I sat down on a nail while fixing tide gauge and tore my pants, so I wasn't in an ideal condition to go out to dine. Capt. and Mr. Sobe. took supper at Dr. Buckley's too. We went aboard the Cedar and talked to Capt. Ledbetter while waiting for motor sailer. Bought pair of shore packs and other odds and ends today.

Monday, July 19

Back home at Kekurnoi. Landed this afternoon about 6 with provisions for three weeks. Backus, Kenyon, and ? came with me. ? is an ex-Marine, and a survivor of Belleau Woods. Kenyon is an ex-soldier, and had a year's service in France. We left Kodiak at 5 A.M. Stopped in Kupreanof Strait to locate uncharted rock. Worked on projection for planetable work most of day. Bond did most of the work, however. Brought declinometer and planetable, which I am to use in addition to occupying the two stations, so I suppose I will be kept fairly busy. Found one tent blown down. Calm weather for landing.

Tuesday, July 20

Spent morning getting straightened out and studying. Also got big rock dragged up to station and hole drilled in it for reference work. Mountains in Top group covered by clouds this morning, but when I looked at 3:00 it was clear enough to see them. Studied until about 3:00, and then we all took a hike. Took a set of magnetic observations when I got back, and then got straightened out some more, and studied magnetism and planetable work a little.

Wednesday, July 21

Tested stadia rods this A.M. but before I could get set up for work it started to rain, and has been raining ever since. No magnetic work on account of rain and fog. Studied and read today.

Thursday, July 22

Cloudy this A.M. Cleared up and Top and vicinity showed up in afternoon, but they didn't get enough sun to show helios. Lined in stakes for magnetic observation this A.M. Started planetable work, but had to stop twice to work on planetable movement , as there was some lost motion. Finally contrived temporary remedy. Knocked off at 5:00. Did magnetic work from 7:45 to 8:45 P.M.

Friday, July 23

Fine day. Calm ; clear. Kept watch for helios until 3:00, but not a flash. Got helio stands, etc., as near ready as possible. Did a little planetable work between 3:00 and 5:00. Took mag. obs. after 8:00. All of us went out in boat after supper. Took gun, but got no ducks.

Saturday, July 24

Pushed planetable this A.M. Rained in afternoon. Saw Surveyor this A.M. Straightened up and braced tent this P.M. Rain prevented magnetic observations. Took declinometer up but gave it up. Took a little reconnaissance walk for topographic base line and signals about 8:00. A fox just came around, but beat it quick.

Sunday, July 25

Rain ; fog all day. We all set out about 10:30 for a creek about 3 hours hike from here, the one where I saw the bear trail some time ago. We caught 10 salmon, which were stranded in a shallow place. Kenyon caught 4 trout. Saw plenty of fresh bear tracks and trail. Got back to camp at 8:15. Some job packing salmon back. Had trout for supper. Got wet today. Tired tonight. Had to use boot lace to tie salmon to pole for packing.

Monday, July 26

Dense fog and some rain. Got set of mag. obs. in morning, but fog prevented in afternoon. We smoked salmon today.

Tuesday, July 27

Fairly clear this A.M. Measured base line three times. Top and Shag started showing a little before noon, but so intermittently that it was slow work to observe on them. Hit instrument and ruined first set. Got two good ones, and fog shut down before I could finish another (about 4 P.M.) Fog so thick I couldn't take mag. observations tonight. Started letter home. Saw Surveyor going back and forth (sounding) most of day.

Wednesday, July 28

Foggy almost all morning. Cleared up fairly well here in afternoon, but fog banks were drifting all around. Beginning almost noon the tops of the mountains on other side of Cold Bay showed above fog bank several times, but only for a minute or so at a time. Tried to show helios in afternoon, but only caught an occasional glimpse of Top and Shag. Put up small signal at end of base line and did some topography in afternoon. Have caught an awful cold. Result of wetting I got Sunday, I suppose. Fog settled down again about 5:00.

Thursday, July 29

Rain and fog all day. Tried to take mag. observations tonight, but rain stopped me. Saw a big fox while trying to take observations. Read, loafed, etc. No wonder this country has never been settled, and I doubt if it ever will.

Friday, July 30

Did planetable work until about 12:30, when I knocked off to meet the ship. Whaleboat came in and took us aboard. Took records to be looked over. Brought back one more week's supply of chow. The whaleboat trip was a little rough. It seems that rough weather always beats the ship here by just a small margin. This is about the only time it has been rough since we got back. When we finished dinner it was after 3. It started to rain, so I didn't get any more topography done. Got set of magnetic observations tonight. Only saw sun a moment today, and then not clearly. Mail day.

Saturday, July 31

Pushed planetable until about 12:30. Knocked off for dinner. Set up again after dinner, but wind had increased so that I couldn't continue. Had been breezing up from the open sea since yesterday. Rained a little in afternoon.

Calmed down towards supper time. Got two sets of mag. observations tonight, and saw the tops of the mountains across Cold Bay for the first time today while observing. Two of the boys went out after supper and got 19 snipe. Mosquitoes beginning to get bothersome. Hills full of young squirrels. Began noticing them a few days ago.


- Top of Page -

Publication of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), NOAA Central Library.

Last Updated: June 8, 2006 9:24 AM

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer