twin screw, iron hull, length 160 feet, beam 24 feet, draft
9.5 feet. Built in 1845 by Charles Knapp at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
and assembled at Oswego, New York for service on the Great Lakes.
This vessel was turned over to the Coast Survey from the Revenue
Service in 1849 and accomplished very little meaningful work
before ordered to the West Coast of the United States. The ship
was lost in a storm on the coast of Patagonia in 1851. Named
for President Thomas Jefferson.
dimensions unknown. This was the first Coast Survey vessel.
It began hydrographic operations in Great South Bay, Long Island,
in 1834. This vessel discovered the famous Gedney Channel leading
into New York Harbor that greatly increased the safety and efficiency
of merchant shipping entering and leaving New York Harbor. Navy
Lieutenant Commanding Thomas R. Gedney was the first commanding
officer of this ship. With the exception of work at Barnegat
Inlet, New Jersey, in 1840, all work accomplished by this vessel
was in the vicinity of New York Harbor. In service 1834-1841.
or sloop, referred to as both in annual reports. Dimensions
unknown. In service 1876-1882. Named for Julius Kincheloe, a
Coast Survey Assistant, who was drowned on the Tillamook Bar,
Oregon, with five other men while conducting a hydrographic
survey on May 20, 1867.
Screw steamer, length 160 feet, beam 24.5 feet, draft 10.5 feet.
Displaced 150 tons. Built in 1843 by R. and G. L. Schuyler,
New York for the Revenue Cutter Service and placed in service
in May 1844. This ship was the first steam propulsion cutter
to serve in the Revenue Service and was equipped with a 6-blade
Ericcson propeller as opposed to a paddle wheel or side wheels.
This vessel also had an iron hull and could readily make 9 knots.
The LEGARE was one of 11 revenue cutters to serve in the Mexican
War and served as a dispatch vessel, troop transport, and ammunition
ship. It was transferred to the Coast Survey in 1847 and was
its first iron-hulled vessel as well as its first propeller
equipped vessel. The LEGARE was named for Hugh Swinton Legare
(1797-1843), the 16th Attorney General of the United States.
He also served in the South Carolina legislature, in the State
Department, and in the United States Congress. Atlantic service
Cutter, length 165 feet, beam 26 feet, draft 10 feet. Built
by John T. Fardy and Brother, Baltimore, Maryland, in 1864.
This vessel transported George Davidson and a scientific party
to Alaska in the spring of 1867 to conduct a reconnaissance
of Alaska prior to Congressional ratification of the treaty
purchasing Alaska from Russia. Davidson’s report helped
influence the ratification of the purchase.