Coast and Geodetic Survey Ship BOWIE with
the Golden Gate Bridge
in the background.
diesel, length 136 feet, beam 24.5 feet, draft 8 feet. Built in 1943
at Greenport Construction Company in Greenport, Connecticut. Ex PCS1405.
Pacific service only from 1946-1967. Served on West Coast and Alaska.
Transferred from Navy October 3, 1946. Named BOWIE on November 11,
1946, and decommissioned February 1, 1967. Named for the Captain William
Bowie (1872-1940), USC&GS, head of the Division of Geodesy for
many years, credited with proving the theory of isostasy, and a founder
of the American Geophysical Union. The AGU’s most prestigious
medal, the Bowie Medal, is named for Captain Bowie.