NOAA History Banner
gold bar divider
home - takes you to index page
about the site
noaa - takes you to the noaa home page
search this site
white divider
arrow Profiles in Time
arrow NWS Biographies

banner - profiles in time nws biographies

Montrose W. Hayes, principal meteorologist, died in Washington, D.C., on November 16, 1936, within 5 days of this 62nd birthday. For a little more than 7 years he had been in charge of the River and Flood Division at the Central Office.

Mr. Hayes was born at Charlotte, N.C., on November 21, 1874, and entered the service of the Weather Bureau as an observer on march 26, 1892. His first assignment was at Wilmington, N.C. Later station details included Jacksonville, Fla., Pensacola, Fla., New Orleans, La., and in 1896 he began a period of service of 2 years at the Central Office. Soon after the close of the Spanish American War he was assigned as assistant to William B. Stockman, who was in charge of the Weather Bureau Office at Havana, Cuba, from which office hurricane warnings for Cuba and other West Indian areas were issued. While in Havana Mr. Hayes contracted yellow fever and nearly lost his life, but he remained there until the termination of the American occupation in 1902. Special commendation was given him for "conducting the Havana station under difficulties when temporarily official in charge".

After his return from Havana Mr. Hayes was placed in charge of the section center at Helena, Mont. While there (1904) the Director of the national Meteorological Service of Argentina requested the loan of an official to assist in organizing the weather-forecasting service of that country. Mr. Hayes was selected and served in that capacity for 2 years. He was highly commended by officials of that country for his technical and organizing ability.

After his return from Argentina Mr. Hayes was successively in charge of stations at Montgomery, Ala., Cairo, Ill., Santa Fe, N. Mex., Columbus, Ohio, and St. Louis, Mo. Although his experience in river and flood works was extensive, it was during his more than 19 years' service at St. Louis that he gained distinction in that branch of the Weather Bureau work. When the position of Chief of the River and Flood Division at Washington became vacant in 1929 he was the logical selection for appointment thereto.

Few officials of the Weather Bureau had as extensive acquaintanceship with its personnel as Mr. Hayes. He was highly respected and noted for his rigid adherence to principles of equity and right, and for his industry and technical knowledge with which he combined an unusual organizing ability. During the 7 years in which he was in charge of the hydrological work of the Bureau it was placed on a high plane of efficiency, river-stage forecasting was greatly improved, and more than 400 gages were replaced with modern ones.

At the time of his death Mr. Hayes was engaged in a plan of organizing the river and flood service on an intensive basis. A program was set up which contemplates dividing the hydrologic work of the Bureau into eight districts, each of these districts to be in charge of a hydrologic engineer. As a part of this plan, two of these districts were started recently, and the last official trip made by Mr. Hayes, shortly before his death, was to visit these districts and to confer with the hydrologic engineers in charge regarding operating plans. His untimely death prevented him from seeing the completion of the program for which he had planned so long and so well.
[Weather Bureau Topics and Personnel, November 1936]

Hazen, John S.: Born at Sabetha, Kans., on May 7, 1862; enlisted in the Signal Corps at Pittsburgh, Pa., on August 17, 1889; later he served as assistant at Savannah, Hatteras, Nashville, Santa Fe, San Francisco, and Des Moines, and as official in charge of Fort Apache, Springfield, Mo., Tampa, Canton, and Dayton, being in charge of the latter station from September, 1929, until the time of his retirement. Retired at the termination of June 30, 1932.

Mr. John S. Hazen, who was retired June 30, 1932, died on July 16, 1937, at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Calif. A notice of his retirement and outline of his service will be found in Topics and Personnel for June 1932.

Mr. Charles H. Heckelsmiller, unskilled laborer, was killed by lightning at Ellendale, N. Dak., on August 28, 1919. Mr. Heckelsmiller had served only ten days and was struck while assisting in a kite flight. Immediate efforts for resuscitation were made and two physicians were on the scene within 15 minutes. A severe burn was found across Mr. Heckelsmiller's chest and on the inner side of his right wrist. The kite flight was nearly completed and three of the six kites had been landed. It appears that Mr. Heckelsmiller was holding a splice wire in his hand and was standing close to the main kite wire when the flash occurred. At the time of the flash two employees were in the reel house and they state that the house was filled with flame. A line of sparks resembling a huge skyrocket was seen to follow up the wire and these set the grass beneath on fire, as the ground was very dry, no rain having fallen for nearly two weeks. About 1,750 meters of wire were out at the time, and it was completely fused in the air.

This is the first accident of its kind that has occurred to an employee of the Weather Bureau during the period of about 25 years in which the Weather Bureau has engaged in kite observation work. -- August 1919

Mr. Richard Heine, assistant observer at Corpus Christi station, was retired at the termination of September 30, 1938, on account of physical disability. He was born at Talladega, Ala., on November 25, 1897. Mr. Heine entered the Weather Bureau service as assistant observer at Phoenix, Ariz., on June 14, 1920, and was later transferred to Corpus Christi, at which station he was serving at the time of his retirement.
[Weather Bureau Topics and Personnel, September 1938]

Miss Alice T. Hercus,who was retired July 8, 1929, died March 4, 1937, at the age of 74, in Washington, D.C. A brief outline of her service and a notice of her retirement will be found in Topics and Personnel for July 1929.
[Weather Bureau Topics and Personnel, March 1937]

Mr. Charles N. Henville, airway observer at Bassetterre, Saint Kitts, B.W.I., died September 10, 1946, at Bassetterre. Mr. Henville was born November 7, 1875, on Saint Kitts and has been serving as airway observer since August 16, 1941. Prior thereto he served the Weather Bureau as a special observer at Bassetterre for a number of years.
[Weather Bureau Topics and Personnel, December 1946, p. 86]

Publication of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), NOAA Central Library.
Last Updated: June 8, 2006 9:27 AM

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer