launch, length 75 feet, beam 13.6 feet, draft 7 feet. Built
at Colonna’s Shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1924. In
service from 1933 -1946 along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.
Acquired from Coast Guard, ex CG 223 SONIC. Sold in 1946. Named
for Captain Robert Lee Faris (1868-1932), Assistant Director
of the Coast and Geodetic Survey at the time of his death and
for the 18 preceding years. He entered the Survey in 1891 and
served continuously including service in the Pacific, Bering
Sea, and Puerto Rico, and was a pioneer in developing magnetic
observation techniques at sea.
length 76 feet, beam 16 feet, draft 4 feet. Built in 1871 by
C.Sharp at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for the Coast Survey.
In service 1871-1881 on the Atlantic coast. 1881 laid up at
Washington, D. C., sale advised and sold in 1884.