Schooner, length 60 feet, beam 16 feet, draft 4 feet. Built
in 1843 for the Revenue Service . On loan from Revenue Service
from 1848 until beginning of Civil War. In service 1848-1861.
In May 61 transferred back to Revenue Service. Named for Secretary
of the Treasury William H. Crawford (1772-1834) who served under
Presidents Madison and Monroe from 1816 to 1825.
steamboat, length 159 feet, beam 32.1 feet, draft 4 feet. A
Mississippi River Union gunboat (tinclad) on which surveys of
the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers were conducted by the party
of Coast Surveyor Ferdinand Gerdes between March, 1864, and
May 1865. Named for the bird.
vessel, length 99.5 feet, beam 17.5 feet, draft 7 feet. Built
in 1869, acquired in 1885 for $12,000. 1891 rotten hull caused
length 70 feet, beam 20 feet, draft 2.8 feet. In service 1856-1876
on Atlantic Coast. Named for American geologist James Dwight
Twin-engine gasoline launch, length 75 feet, beam 13.6 feet,
draft 4 feet. Built at Luders, Stamford, Connecticut, in 1925.
Acquired from Coast Guard in 1933. Ex-Coast Guard motor CG#242.
Returned to Coast Guard in 1935. Named for the great Coast Surveyor
George Davidson (1825-1911), pioneer Coast Surveyor who came
to California in 1850, geodesist who observed and planned the
39th Parallel Survey from north of San Francisco through the
Sierra Nevada Mountains, observer of the great Davidson Quadrilateral,
measurer of the Yolo Baseline considered the most accurate baseline
of the Nineteenth Century, President of the California Academy
of Sciences for 16 years, member of the National Academy of
Sciences, Regent 1877-1884 and Professor at the University of
California until his death, author of the Pacific Coast and
Alaska Coast Pilots, founder and first President of the Pacific
Seismological Society, instrumental in convincing James Lick
to endow the Lick Observatory, Commissioner of Irrigation of
the State of California, and many other significant positions