launch, twin engine, length 75 feet, beam 13.6 feet, draft 4
feet. Built by Chance Marine Construction, Annapolis, Maryland
in 1925. Acquired from Coast Guard in 1933 and returned to Coast
Guard in 1935. Ex Coast Guard #198 BOMBER. Named for James Blaine
Miller (1883-1915) of the Coast and Geodetic Survey who had
served on the Atlantic coast, Alaska, Caribbean, and Philippines.
Although relatively young he had commanded the ENDEAVOR, RESEARCH,
and FATHOMER and as commanding officer of the PATTERSON rescued
many members of the Coast Guard Cutter TAHOMA that had wrecked
on a reef in the Aleutian Islands in 1914. He was taking leave
when, while a passenger on the LUSITANIA, he died as a result
of its being torpedoed and sunk off the coast of Ireland on
May 7, 1915.
length 91.6 feet, beam 22.6 feet, draft 4.6 feet. Acquired from
Army Quartermaster Department in 1849. In service 1849-1855,
sunk in Pensacola Harbor at the end of the 1853 season, and
then raised. Service on the Gulf coast. Namesake of vessel unknown.
Perhaps named for Robert Morris, Revolutionary War Secretary
of Finance and heavily involved with procurement of goods for
Continental Army, thus connection to quartermaster department.
diesel, length 231 feet, beam 42 feet, draft 14.3 feet. Built
at Aerojet-General Shipyards, Jacksonville, Florida, in 1967.
In service 1968-1995, as multi-purpose vessel that conducted
hydrographic surveys on the Atlantic coast and Caribbean and
served as an oceanographic vessel throughout much of the North
Atlantic Ocean on various projects. Late 1980’s it was
fitted with a multi-beam sounding system for Exclusive Economic
Zone work and discovered Mitchell Dome among other large economically
significant features in the Gulf of Mexico. Proceeded to Persian
Gulf in 1992 to study the effects of the Iraq War oil spills
into the Gulf. Returned and resumed operations as a hydrographic
survey vessel until deactivated. Named for Mt. Mitchell, North
Carolina, the highest mountain peak east of the Mississippi
length 76 feet, beam 19 feet, draft 7 feet. Built in 1838 for
the Coast Survey at a cost of $10,000. This was the first ship
built specifically for hydrographic surveying in the United
States and the first ship built specifically for the Coast Survey.
This ship was the second vessel carrying the name NAUTILUS in
United States Government service. The Coast Survey NAUTILUS
conducted surveys for the Coast Survey until 1847 when it went
into naval service during the Mexican War. Following the war,
it was returned to the Coast Survey in July 1848. In service