length 70 feet, beam 20 feet, draft 2.4 feet. Built for the
Coast Survey in 1854 by Fardy Brothers in Baltimore, Maryland.
In service 1856-1861, thence Civil War naval service, and then
1866-1875 on Atlantic coast. Used exclusively in Atlantic service,
primarily as transportation and hotel services for topographic
and triangulation survey parties. Named for Louis Agassiz (1807-1873),
Swiss scientist who was the first to describe the Ice Age. Also
a noted ichthyologist and marine biologist. Agassiz came to
the United States in 1847 and was given use of the steamer BIBB
for investigations off the coast of Massachusetts, was the first
to study the Florida reef system at the request of the Coast
Survey, and was chief scientist on the cruise of the HASSLER
through the Straits of Magellan and on to San Francisco in 1872.
Agassiz founded the Museum of Comparative Zoology of Harvard
University. He was an incorporator of the National Academy of
length 81 feet , beam 23 feet, draft 4.5 feet. built in 1854
by Fardy and Brothers, Baltimore, Maryland. In service 1854-1863,
Civil War naval service, thence 1866-81. In 1867 sunk in Neuse
River by striking Confederate stake, raised and serviceable
again. Atlantic service only. Named for the famous French naturalist
Dominique François Jean Arago, 1786-1853.
length 93.5 feet, beam 15.8 feet, draft 5.9 feet. Built in 1871
by Maury and Steinburg, New York, NY. In service 1871-1890.
Sold to Lighthouse Service in 1890. Atlantic service only. Named
for the famous French naturalist Dominique François Jean
length 172 feet, beam 24 feet, draft 10.3 feet. Unclear if remained
under Navy control but used by Coast Survey for deep sea soundings
in 1856 between Newfoundland and Ireland, Otway Berryman Commanding.
This led to a controversy in the on-going feud between the Coast
Survey and Matthew Fontaine Maury of the Naval Observatory.
Prior to Navy acquisition in 1856, it was named the THOMAS HAIGHT.
1857 transferred to Lighthouse Service. Atlantic service only.
launch, length 53.5 feet, beam 12.5 feet, draft 5.5 feet. Acquired
in 1919 from the Navy. USS AUDWIN from June 1917 until March
1919. Ex-yacht AUDWIN, Id #208413. Built in 1911 at Morris Heights,
New York. Did patrol duty off New York and on Great Lakes during
WW I. In service 1919-1927. Sold to P. H. McCue in Seattle in
1927. Used for West Coast and Alaska service. Origin of name