RITTER on combined operations. Project from Brunswick, GA, to
engine gasoline launch, length 75 feet, beam 13.6 feet, draft 4 feet.
Built in 1925 at Dachell Carter, Benton Harbor, Michigan. Acquired
from Coast Guard, ex SONO CG-145. In service 1933-1935. Returned to
Coast Guard in 1935. Named for Coast and Geodetic Survey officer Homer
P. Ritter (1855-1919), who served in the Survey from 1885 to 1919.
He had assignments on both coasts and Alaska and was designated a
member of the Mississippi River Commission in 1904, which post he
held until 1919. He died returning from a meeting of the commission
to his post as director of the Coast and Geodetic Survey field station