and Geodetic Survey Steamer PATTERSON. In service 1884 -1919.
barkentine rig, length 163 feet, beam 27.4 feet, draft 14.2 feet.
Built by James D. Leary, Brooklyn, New York, in 1883. In service 1883-1918
when it was turned over to the Navy for patrol duty, and then returned
to the Coast Survey in 1919 at which time it was sold. This ship was
primarily used as a hydrographic survey vessel in Alaska although
it served on the West Coast and the Hawaiian Islands as well. Named
for Carlile P. Patterson (1816-1881), fourth Superintendent of the
Coast Survey (1874-1881). Patterson began his career as a naval officer
and served on the Coast Survey as a passed midshipman on the Brig
WASHINGTON 1838-1841, thence again from 1845 until 1850 when he left
the Navy to command one of the Pacific mail steamers. He commanded
a mail steamer until 1861 when he returned to the Coast Survey as
Hydrographic Inspector following the withdrawal of most Navy officers
from the Survey. He remained in that position until the resignation
of Benjamin Peirce as Superintendent of the Coast Survey in early
1874 when Patterson was appointed Superintendent. He remained in that
position until his death in 1881.