G. Watson Lambert of the Division of Charts
will retire on June 30 after 33 years and 6 months of Government
service of which 22 years was with the Coast and Geodetic Survey.
Mr. Lambert was born in Baltimore June 21,
1893. He attended grammar school there and graduated from Baltimore
Polytechnic Institute of Art and accepted a position with Simpson
and Doeller Lithograph Co. of Baltimore. He entered the Government
service as a Topographic Draftsman with the Engineer Corps in
New York on December 27, 1916; transferred to Washington Barracks
under the Chief of Engineers and had a part in the establishment
of the Central Reproduction Plant, which has become the Army
In 1922 Mr. Lambert was detailed by the Engineer
Corps to Kansas City to make maps from airplane photographs
using a skeleton control and by means of a Tri-Lense Bagley
camera. He was transferred to the Coast and Geodetic Survey
as Chief Lithographer, Artistic, on May 16, 1928. His work has
been on plates and negatives.
After commuting between Washington and Baltimore
for 12 years Mr. Lambert and his family finally located in Cheverly
which has been his home for 23 years.
He served on the Council of Cheverly for 3
consecutive terms, 2 terms as juror of Prince Georges County
and is a Past-President of the Citizens Associations of Prince
Georges County. He is Past-President of the Anchor Masonic Club
of the Department of Commerce, Past-President of the Vaughn
Class of Calvary Baptist Church, and Past Master of Mt. Hermon
Masonic Lodge of Hyattsville. Mr. Lambert is presently a member
of College Park Rotary Club and served as Director there in
While Mr. Lambert lays no claims to any particular
hobby he has many interests and expects to maintain a home and
guest house in Ocean City, N.J., after retirement. He endeavors
to live up to his motto: “Service to the other fellow.”
“The Buzzard,” Vol. 18, No. 26, p. 4. June 27, 1950.