computer in the section of tides and currents, passed away on
November 7, 1918, in the 84th year of his life, after an illness
of 2 weeks.
He was born in Steuben County, New York, August 3, 1835. Four
winters in the schools of Venango County, Pennsylvania, comprised
all his schooling. Farming, wood chopping, and oil-well drilling,
with four winters as a district school-teacher, made up his
work until the age of 50. The little leisure afforded by such
work was devoted to the study of mathematics.
In 1877, while engaged in market gardening, he began the editing
and publishing of the Mathematical Visitor, and in 1882 he followed
this up with the Mathematical Magazine. Not only did he edit
and publish these magazines, but he even did the typesetting.
That he did this well is evidenced by the praise that the mathematical
typography of his journals was the finest in America.
Dr. Martin's mathematical abilities received wide recognition.
In 1877 Yale conferred upon him the honorary degree of A.M.
Rutgers honored him with a Ph.D. in 1882, and in 1885 Hillsdale
made him an LL.D. Numerous learned societies, both in America
and in Europe, elected him to membership.
Aside from articles in his own magazines, he contributed a large
number of papers to the various mathematical magazines here
and abroad. His writings dealt chiefly with logarithms, properties
of numbers, and probabilities and properties of triangles.
In October, 1885, Dr. Martin was appointed librarian of the
Coast and Geodetic Survey. In that capacity his extensive knowledge
of mathematics was of great service to this Survey. In 1898
he was made computer (mathematician) in the tidal division,
where his long training in mathematical accuracy made him a
Dr. Martin's memory is to be fittingly perpetuated in the Artemas
Martin Library of the American University. This library, consisting
principally of mathematical works, and given by Dr. Martin to
the American University shortly before his death, was considered
one of the finest private collections in America. At the same
university Dr. Martin also endowed a lectureship in mathematics
and physics to be known as the Artemas Martin Lectureship.
C&GS BULLETIN, 10/1918