hydrographic and geodetic engineer with the relative rank of
Captain in the Navy, retired April 30, 1941, on his own request
after a service of nearly 37 years.
Born in Dover, New Hampshire, on February 15, 1881, where he
received his early education, he received his Bachelor of Science
degree in 1904 at Dartmouth College, and entered this Bureau
on July 2, 1904. He had extensive sea duty on the Atlantic and
Pacific coasts of the United States and in the Philippine Islands
and Alaska. At various periods he served as commanding officer
of the launch YUKON and the Survey Ships GEDNEY, EXPLORER (old),
GUIDE, and SURVEYOR. He was inspector of construction of the
latter vessel, which he took from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, where
it was constructed, to Washington, D. C., and later from the
east to the west coast.
His office assignments included duty in the Washington Office
as assistant chief of the Division of Hydrography and Topography,
and on three occasions he was inspector in charge of the Seattle
Field Station, which position he held at the time of retirement.
Captain Hardy is now living at Sheridan Beach, Washington.
Captain Francis H. Hardy, 85, passed away in Seattle on December
14, 1966. Born in Dover, New Hampshire, he went to sea with
his father when he was 2 years old and made several trips throughout
the world. He joined the Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1904 following
his graduation from Dartmouth College. He retired in 1941, then
was recalled to active duty from September 1942 until February
During his 40 years of active duty, Captain Hardy served for
over 21 years aboard various ships, including 18 months during
World War I as Executive Officer of a Navy troop transport.
He commanded the Coast and Geodetic Survey's Ships PATTERSON,
GEDNEY, SURVEYOR, EXPLORER, and GUIDE. He was assigned to Washington
from 1921 to 1926 as Chief, Field World Section.
Survivors include a son, Howard H. Hardy, Hoquiam, Washington,
a daughter, Mrs. Kenneth Putney, Edmonds, Washington, and nine
C&GS BULLETIN, 5/31/1941
ESSA CORPS BULLETIN, Vol. 1, No. 6, 1/3/1967