Henry J. Healy retired from active duty April 30,
1954, from the Seattle, Washington office, after many years
of faithful service in the Coast and Geodetic Survey.
Commander Healy received his education at North Dakota Agricultural
College, graduating with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil
Engineering. He entered on duty in the Coast and Geodetic Survey
July 13, 1925, as Deck Officer and his first assignment was
aboard the Ship HYDROGRAPHER working along the Florida Coast,
following which he had a tour of duty in the Philippine Islands
in various capacities aboard the Ships PATHFINDER, MARINDUQUE,
and FATHOMER. On his return he served aboard the Ships PIONEER
and GUIDE on the California and Washington Coasts, and was in
charge of the OGDEN and MARINDIN engaged on hydrographic operations
in the Chesapeake Bay. In Alaska he served aboard the old PATHFINDER
and as Executive Officer of the Ship SURVEYOR. He was Commanding
Officer of the Ship HODGSON engaged in hydrography on the Columbia
River where he devised a new method of making bar checks, as
considerable difficulty was experienced in obtaining acceptable
results for fathometer corrections by using the standard bar-check
equipment. His office assignments included duty in the Tides
and Currents Division of the Washington Office and Supervisor
of the Southern District in New Orleans, Louisiana. His last
assignment was in temporary command of the Ship SURVEYOR.
Commander Henry J. Healy who retired in 1954, died in Seattle,
Washington on January 26, 1975. He had resided in Seattle since
his retirement. Commander Healy joined the Coast and Geodetic
Survey in 1925 as a Deck Officer after having obtained his degree
in civil engineering at North Dakota State University. He served
most of his career in the field which included over 25 years
of sea duty in the Philippines, Alaska, and the continental
coasts. During this span of years.
Commander Healy served on 17 different vessels. He also served
as Supervisor of the Coast and Geodetic Survey Southern District
at New Orleans, 1949-1952. Commander Healy was recognized for
his service during World War II on projects in hazardous areas
as determined by the U.S Navy.
After retirement Commander Healy was engaged in private engineering
and was employed as a facilities engineer. In 1966 he joined
the faculty of the Shoreline Community College and subsequently
founded their School of Oceanography.