former chief of the Instrument Division, who was retired August
15, 1922, died at Garfield Hospital, Washington, D.C., at
4:00 a.m., September 22. Interment was at Rock Creek Cemetery.
Born August 6, 1852, in Baltimore, Maryland, his parents took
him to Germany at the age of 2, where he lived until he was
18, attending school, the Polytecnicum, and working in the
Engineering Works of Moritz Kleber in Dresden.
Prior to entering the service of this Bureau on June 1, 1887,
he was employed by Fault & Company, Washington, D.C., where
he constructed the first Coast and Geodetic Survey tide-predicting
machine under the immediate supervision of Professor William
Ferrel. He was responsible for many varied improvements in
instrumental equipment. His greatest contribution was his
part in the construction of the tide-predicting machine, now
in use, which was built in the Bureau's shop during the time
he was chief of the Instrument Division.
Ernst Georg Fischer, former division chief of this Bureau,
on May 16, 1934, was awarded the Howard N. Potts Gold Medal
by The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, "in recognition of
a lifetime spent with marked success in the design of instruments
of precision for the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey."
He was a member of the Philosophical Society, the Washington
Academy of Sciences, and the Cosmos Club.
ESSA Corps Bulletin, 1/1/1969