a former member of the Division of Geodesy, died at his home
in this city [Washington, D.C.] on February 4, 1940. Born
in Clark County, Va., on January 2, 1869, he received his
education at the Universities of West Virginia and Johns Hopkins.
He entered the Bureau in 1899. In 1913, he transferred to
the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism of the Carnegie Institution
of Washington where he remained until his retirement in 1937.
He had considerable ability as a mathematical analyst and
made many contributions in the fields of geodesy, astronomy,
and magnetism. His associates will remember him also for his
capacity for generous friendship, for his sound philosophy
mixed with whimsical humor, and for his great devotion to
C&GS Bulletin, 2/29/1940